Top 10 breakfasts
Smiley face pancakes (wholewheat pancakes)
I arrange the blueberries to make a face on each pancake. These can be cooked up in a batch, eaten hot for breakfast or cold as a snack. They are also suitable for freezing.
makes about 8-10 pancakes
- 200g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium free range egg
- 300ml milk
- 150g pack blueberries (optional)
- Rice bran oil or coconut oil for cooking
- maple syrup or agave nectar
- Mix together the flour, baking powder in a large bowl. Beat the egg with the milk, make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and whisk in the milk to make a thick smooth batter. Gently stir in half the blueberries.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Drop a large tablespoonful of the batter per pancake into the pan to make pancakes about 7.5cm across. Make three or four pancakes at a time. Cook for about 3 minutes over a medium/high heat until small bubbles appear on the surface of each pancake, then turn and cook another 2-3 minutes until golden. Pop the pancakes into a warm oven to keep warm while you use up the rest of the batter. Serve with maple or agave syrup and the rest of the blueberries.